Friday, March 21, 2008

Fridays "Coupon Of Wisdom"


Psalm
116:1-2


I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.


Wednesday night I found myself in an ugly situation. If you read yesterday's post, you know that I hit a big stick that damaged my car. I felt rather helpless as I was stranded. Looking back over the events of the week, I think my mind was cluttered with discontentment and my free time was spent dreaming of days to come. Sometimes God allows us to be found in particular circumstances that open our eyes and force us to re-focus.

I'm glad that we live close to family. I'm glad that my family is so helpful. I thanked my Dad for coming for me and he said "That's my job." That gave me that warm fuzzy feeling inside. He looks out for me the best that he can and yesterday he bailed me out of a stranded situation. He's so precious.

Moments later my sister offered up her car for me to drive while I'm awaiting the repairs to my car. She didn't hesitate for even a moment, but quickly responded kindly... although she did ask me to "look out for sticks." HA! She even apologized for it not having much gas... like as if she needed to carry that load for me too??? Honestly, the least I could do is put gas in her car!

Once tucked away at home, the overwhelming feelings flooded. How extensive is the damage? How long will it take to fix it? Will our insurance cover it? How much will we have to pay? Not to mention that we owe the government a rather large chunk of money... and that is coming due! I woke up yesterday morning fighting a migraine headache. I took some new medicine that made me ill. I notified my boss that I would be late.

"...he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy..." HE DID. I have been so cared for throughout this entire ordeal. HE allowed me to continue driving the car far enough to find a safe parking spot. HE sent my Dad to rescue me. HE provided a vehicle through my sister. HE convinced my boss to convince me to stay home and rest yesterday. HE gave me several hours of very peaceful rest this morning. HE provided the insurance coverage in such a way that I have little or no worries. The insurance company contacted the dealer who made arrangements to get the car and will be making the necessary repairs AND I was informed that I would have a $250 deductible; however, our collision deductible is $500 so I am entirely grateful that this falls under the latter. $250 is a lot to pay out of pocket, but way less than $500. HE will provide and we will be fine. Again... "...he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy..."

Isn't it amazing how God can use such circumstances to bring us back to him? I don't have time to be discontented, nor should I! It's times like these that remind me of how important it is to keep my eyes on the Lord. I shall make some efforts to re-focus!

Sometimes I read over these simple yet profound tidbits of wisdom and fail to embrace them. Just as clipped coupons that are not redeemed are wasteful, so are portions of scripture/biblical teaching when we read them and fail to respond. Thus... I have developed the concept of clipping "Coupons Of Wisdom" to help remind myself to exercise discernment of the wisdom the Lord so freely offers.

No comments: