Saturday, December 13, 2008

Just Stuff

It's C-O-L-D, but our home is warm at 70 degrees. We have to keep it at least that warm for the sake of our birds. The kitties don't mind, with their furry coats. They scout around for a ray of sun and then plop down and soak it up. Penny on the other hand... she's living in the fridgid temperatures. Once locked inside for the night with her other three pals, the temperature rises and she's roasty toasty for the night. It's warm enough that the water does not freeze in the barn, so that is good. Besides, she's got a nice thick fluffy coat of fur to keep her warm.

I got a new pair of jeans at Old Navy's $12 jean sale last week. I wasn't too keen on them at first, but my handy hubby says they are slimming. I guess I'll keep them then. As a matter of fact... I might just wear them every day!

Work has been overwhelming lately. I'm more behind now than I've ever been. I hate that feeling. I was already sore for not being effecient after losing a co-worker, but now it's even worse. My boss is trying to help me. Deadlines are looming over our heads. Important projects are being put on hold for things with greater priority. Overtime is standard right now. It would be nice if I got paid for overtime... I guess I'm banking a lot of comp-time to add to my 5+ weeks of vacation I've saved up.

Looking forward to the Holidays. One day I gathered up all of our loose change and took it to the bank. $152 later I think it was worth it. My Handy Hubby claimed it to buy me a Christmas present. He's sweet. He's never had that much money to spend on me before. I did some babysitting a month or two ago and used that money to buy him a nice gift. It's something I know he'll love. Thanks to my sister for assisting me with getting it. Various other gifts were purchased a little here and a little there. We don't have a lot of room in our budget for gifts, but we do try to be thoughtful, creative, practical, and frugal.

My side of the family does not have an adult gift-exchange. Years ago we all did, and then kids came along and lets face it... we all wanted to spoil them. So we started drawing names from a hat for the adults. That was fun for a couple of years, but it's been at least a year or two since we've done that. Seriously, for adults... I think that husbands and wives should spoil one another and aside from that it's about the kids.

I do like to do something special for my parents at Christmas time. Last year we decided that we would not be buying them anymore things that they probably don't need or don't have room for anymore. We think it is more precious to spend some quality time with them. They don't go to "town" as in "Pittsburgh" much if at all. They don't go to social events other than church, work, or family gatherings. So we like to take them for something that they would not normally attend. Last year we saw the Raleigh Ringers in concert at the Soldiers and Sailors museum. This year, tonight actually, we are going to Heinz Hall to see Handel's Messiah. This is such a festive thing to do and such a nice little tradition to do with my folks. We are really looking forward to it.

We plan to celebrate Christmas with my Handy-hubby's family this year. Christmas Eve dinner at his Aunt's house has always been a grand affair. Each year it seems I fit into his family a little more. It's a shame that we live so far away. Christmas with my family will likely occur closer to New Years day... one never knows though. If we can pull ourselves away from the hustle and bustle of life before that, then perhaps we will make a surprise visit to the little ones?

My sister is expecting again, number F-I-V-E!!! Her first 4 will be here to celebrate New Years. That should be grand. We are planning to ring in the new year with a few drinks, snacks, and games at our place with the usual New Years day dinner the following day.

That pretty much sums up the happenings of late and the happenings in planning. I best go get ready for our night out.

Happy Holidays

No comments: