Thursday, April 13, 2006

Side Buster

For those of you who don't know... I have a fish at work. A Beta fish. His name is Oscar, although how does one know the sex of a fish anyway? As it goes, he has been with us for a couple of years. He sits on the counter at the front desk right beside the candy jar.

Today a doctor came in to sign some papers. He's one of those ADHD type personalities. He whirls in and, as always, swings right over to raid the candy jar. He bumped the candy jar against Oscars vase and busted a 3 inch long oval hole in the side. As I'm sure you can imagine, water gushed out straight at the doctor and soaked him from the chest down. Luckily, he was coming from the operating room so he was in scrubbs. It looked like he wet himself! I laughed really hard. As this is happening I exclaimed "My fishy!!!!" So he reached over and tipped the vase back so the fish wouldn't fall out the hole. Can you believe that half of the vase emptied all over this guy and the fish was still in it?!!! Meanwhile fish water soaked the counter and dripped down onto my coworkers telephone. Are you laughing with me yet?

So I found a small spare vase for Oscar to move into overnight, or until I can replace his home. In the meantime I had asked the doctor to sign some papers. I set them before him and he crys out in horror "Holy cow I'm bleeding!!!" and he was!!!! He had about a 1 inch cut on his finger. So he swipes it across the paperwork and with a giggle and a grin says "There, I signed it in blood!" Ugh!!! Now I have to reproduce it. In the meantime he laughes and decides that maybe a photocopy will suffice. The photocopy has a big ugly smudge on it. That's not going to work! He signed the rest of the papers and declined a bandaid. He left sucking his finger. DISGUSTING!!! That was fish water you know!!!

Oh my goodness, I have not laughed so hard in a really long time. I just wish that there would have been more witnesses for this catastrophe.

Needless to say, I think Oscar will survive. One time before he actually jumped out of his home and onto the counter... and then fell on the floor. For a fish, he must have 9 lives!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Are you sure he isn't a catfish?

Jemit said...

I am laughing hysterically at the thought of all this happening all of a sudden in your nice quiet little office...hehehe..
I have to know.. this is a surgeon? in OR scrubs? and he licked his fingers with fishy water? oh, disgusting!
perhaps you can tell me in private.

Wendy said...

That is hilarious JJ...I dont want to know who it is...that is just disgusting!