For the Thanksgiving holiday we traveled to North Carolina to visit with Keith's Dad and Step-mother, Rachel. It was a grand trip. Lucky for us it was warm the first two days, in the 80's. The last couple of days it was windy and about 55, brrrr.
Highlights of our trip are as follows:
- Traveling Sights... beautiful mountains. Cops drive Dodge Chargers in WV. (and no we didn't get a ticket. we are just observant.) Crazy drivers. One guy had a boat in the back of his truck. A little closer and we see he had a deer in the boat. Tried to get a picture but it didn't turn out. Sorry.
- Trip to "South Of The Border." Anyone who has traveled that route in the south knows about this place. It's the biggest tacky tourist trap I've ever seen. We bought a hat for my sister there. I should have bought her a sombraro, but I had a hard time justifying a hat over $40 that I know she will not wear. It might have made a cute center piece for a party though. We shopped around and we decided that salt water taffy might be a good thing to bring home. WAIT - it was made in Pennsylavia! That's a rip-off! Ha!
- Thanksgiving dinner. Rachel cooked up a fine feast. I had my first piece of coconut pie. It was yummy. She makes the best sweet potatoes. Yummy!!! We ate until we could just about burst! Then we napped all afternoon. I love Thanksgiving!!! It's my favorite holiday.
- Jazz Festival at Cypress Bend Vineyards. This was a Christmas gift for us. Dad wasn't able to go with us because of work, but the three of us went and it was delightful. Good food, good music, and good wine. Rachel bought us a couple bottles for Christmas too. Wahoo!
- Tour of the USS North Carolina Battleship. Keith's Dad was in the Navy so this really took him back. He was explaining how everything worked and all about the different areas of the ship. It was multi-level and quite interesting. The steps were steep and all I can say is... I would never make it as a sailor!
- Sunset at the beach... oh how lovely. It was chilly, but we got there just in time to see the sun begin its decent. There were boats on the water and the wind was blowing fierce. It was not a day to swim, but it was refreshing to say that we were there the week of Thanksgiving.
It was a grand trip. We needed to get away. It was great to be in such lovely company. We can't wait to go back again.