Thursday, April 20, 2006

Slackin' Off

Finally... another deadline for my job has come and gone. I work all month long preparing files for review at one big meeting with my Credentials Committee -- That was on Monday. I think I had about 20 or so files this time. Some new some old. Some problems and some clean cut and simple. All in all, it went very well. I have some really great Committee members. Everyone on the Committee has served in a leadership role for the Medical Staff in the past and some of them are REALLY good at examining the material and making most appropriate recommendations. Anyway, the meeting went smoothly and that makes me and a few others very happy.

The day after my meeting I almost always veg-out. I don't know why I even come to work on that day. I may as well stay home, but I always drag myself into work and usually a little later than the norm. There must be something about going to work but not actually doing much of anything all day long that feels good. Usually I try to dig through some piles on my desk, reorganize the clutter, and determine the priority of the work that is left there.

I have the greatest boss at work - George. He's really easy going, always flexible, and very supportive of my ideas. Most of the time I think he wonders how to shut me up. I try to give him quiet time during the day, but some days I'm just full of chatter. The poor guy... we share an office. Should I say that again? The poor guy... Not only do I think out loud most of the time, I speak my mind. Whatever I think... look out here it comes. (especially if he asks) He's got a great sense of humor so he can take it. At the end of his first day he asked me "Jennifer, do you have any special words of wisdom to share?" My reply... "As a matter of fact I do... We women, we run this office. Even if we really don't... you let us think we do. Got it?" He's had a certain respect for me ever since. I love it!

So now that it is Thursday and we are "over the hump," I have had to dig back into my duties. I had a couple of requests for applications for new folks... minutes to type... a bunch of special projects waiting to be addressed... a month of applications to mail out for upcoming re-appointments... and two months of re-appointment applications sitting in a pile ready to be processed! Ugh... the mountain of paperwork never dwindles!!! I suppose one might call that job security? I call it "Can't find my desk." Needless to say, I'm chipping away at it little by little.

So much for slackin' off this week... It never lasts long, but even for a day it is a welcomed change.

No comments: