Saturday, July 29, 2006

Manicure Myth

I was up bright and early this morning. Keith had the clock set for 4:45 AM because he was opening at the store this morning. I tried to sleep after he left, but actually only tossed and turned until 6AM and then decided to get this day on the road!

First item of business... Housework. I did the dishes, cleaned the bathroom, swept all the downstairs AND the stairs, and even tidied the living room. Ahhhhh... I love a clean house!

Then I ran down to the car wash because my new car was getting REALLY dirty! So now it's squeaky clean inside and out. My next item of business...

My nails! They were getting really long and I have been overdue for getting a manicure. I never used to do this at all, but since Keith as been working, I have been treating myself to it about once per month. So what is this "Manicure Myth?"

Remember before I said Amanda and I went to this one place and there was a bowl of fruit in the waiting room... Which we soon noticed was placed infront of a Buddha statue? Well, I have a new place I go now. It's a clean place and they speak English that I can understand, and they are real nice. So today I was checking out the display counter of things they have for sale... And noticed this one spot where there was an old cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup. It looked like it had been sitting there for maybe a week. YUK. At further inspection, I realized that this place also has a Buddha shrine of sorts. (although not as large) There was a bottle of water, some incense, a few little statue type things, and this old cup of coffee. Interesting!

So I'm wondering... What's with the Buddha shrines anyway. I did some preliminary net-surfing to see if I could dig up some information on it, but it remains a myth. None of the sites I've tapped into have any clear link to "offerings," "shrines," or anything of the like. Oh well...

I suppose what I might learn from this is... These people believe in something enough to display it in the forefront of their business. Do we do this with our faith? How do people know we are Christian? Of course, we live our life a certain way and that speaks for itself. BUT... I'm thinking that we could do a better job of it sometimes. Anyway, I have yet to understand why they do this the way they do. On second thought... Do I really want to know? I think I'm just curious.

Okay, enough of that. My friend is meeting me shortly and we are going to go shopping at the Strip District. Oh what fun! It's been a while since I've been down there. And on that note.... I'm off!

No comments: