Saturday, August 26, 2006

X-Cave

Moving on, we headed back for the cave tour. This is not something that I would normally think of as exciting. I don't care to be "enclosed" and even more so with other people! Ugh! Upon entry, the tour guide informed us that there would be animals in the cave... bats, rats, and spiders. I was ready to call it quits right there, but sucked it up and pretended to be brave.

See the hole in this picture... a pack rat lives in it, but we couldn't get her into the picture. When the guide shined his light in the hole, we could see her whiskers. Neat! And not scary! The guide affectionately referred to it as a "she" so we went along with it.




The formations were pretty neat. They say that at one time water flowed through the caves and that since then "formations" have occurred. As water seeps in at various times, mineral deposites form and that is how they are formed. It's neat. At one point we had stopped to be educated... while standing in a line Keith asked me to please step forward. Despite my reluctance to get any closer to the others in the cave... it was worth it. There was a brown recluse spider on the rock over his head. He was smart enough to NOT tell me until we were on our way home. OH HORRORS!!! I HATE SPIDERS!!!!

We only saw one bat. Here it is. There is another cave called "Bat Cave" that they say is filled with bats in the fall. That's where they go to mate and to hibernate. Hmmm... I wonder why they mostly go to that cave? I don't know, but I'm not going to find out any time soon. Honestly, I'm not the least bit afraid of bats. They are always in the barns. As long as you don't try to touch them, we can live in harmony. The tour guide told us that bats eat an estimated 40,000 pounds of bugs EVERY NIGHT in the park. That's a lot of bugs!!! I hate bugs. Thank God for bats!

No comments: