Sunday, October 15, 2006

Go Steelers... Go

I hope this finds everyone having a really good weekend. It is rather chilly here in Western Pennsylvania. There was frost this morning... Fall is heavy upon us. The leaves are falling fast. I love the fall, but I hate the part where the trees become bare.

We went for a brisk walk at the park yesterday. Brrrr... at about a half mile I finally shook the chill. We noticed that there are certain trees that have completely lost their leaves and appear completely bare now. There are others that seem to be holding on for a bit longer. Thank goodness. The woods are full of bright reds and yellows. It was a beautiful walk and it was good for us too. I am so thankful that my hubby agrees to walk with me occasionally. He doesn't find it very exciting, but it is good for our health, so we do it.

Our bank now has Bill Paying services where they will either deduct funds from your account to pay designated bills electronically or they will generate a check and mail it for you. I'm still in awe that they are not charging for this service yet! Anyway, I am finding this to be a real treat when it comes to our tithe. When we get paid, I generate the electronic check for 10% of our gross income immediately. This gets it out of the way and assures me that what we place in the offering plate on Sunday morning is actually an "offering" above our tithe. In return for our tithe, God has blessed us richly in so many ways. We are so grateful.

Speaking of offerings. That is what is given above one's tithe. We don't often feel like we have a lot extra to give, but we always seem to find a little extra that we can do without. There are so many needy people in this world. It warms my heart any time we can help even a little. Offerings too have returned many blessings. One of my daily prayers is that God will provide the means for us to give as generously as our hearts desire to give.

The sermon this morning was very heartfelt. Basically it was reminding us to cling to the scripture when times are tough. The pastor allowed the congregation to share their favorite verses that have proved to be meaningful and reassuring during hard times. It is interesting that this topic would arise. Someone close to me has recently expressed the same reminder lately. I would not consider us to be enduring "hard times" at this moment, but we have been there and will no doubt endure it again at some point.

The rest of the weekend...

I did some grocery shopping. I don't like to shop on Sundays. Today was no exception. I should have done so yesterday. Anyway... we got our weekly groceries for about $10 less than we had budgeted. Thank goodness, because we need that $10 elsewhere.

I did some laundry. I love the smell of fresh clean laundry, especially that done with a little bit of bleach! I washed all of my work clothes - dress pants, shirts, sweaters, etc.

I washed the dishes. I made lunch today and at the same time cooked up a pot of taco soup - YUM!

Keith is watching the Steelers game... GO STEELERS!!!!!

No comments: