Saturday, September 22, 2007

Out Of My Comfort Zone


Last night we went to Penn Brewery's Octoberfest. Why? I'm still asking myself that question. When Keith's former co-workers asked us to join them on this night in the 'Burgh, I was apprehensive, but figured... why not? It will be good to get out for an enjoyable night. No knowing what to expect, I figured we would be going to a bar-like atmosphere where we might order appetizers while we sit and chat. NOT SO... let me explain.

First we drove to the city. I'm not a big fan of it, but hey... that's where the fun is they say. As we approached the Brewery Building there were limos and taxis and a gazillion cars... not to mention the massive boatload of people milling about. We had to park almost a mile away I'd say. We were way up the hill almost to Troy Hill. (which BTW I knew where I was) So we walk down this long hill passing hoodlums here and there and homes literally perched on the cliff-like hillside overlooking Pittsburgh's East side and Route 28.


So after a long walk down the hill, we entered the Octoberfest party. It was wall to wall people - no joke! This place was multi-level with huge canopies here and there. After slithering thru the crowd, we bellied up to the beer line where you could only buy it in half gallons. Who the heck needs a half gallon of beer at a time? Pretty much the whole city of Pittsburgh I guess. I have never seen so many people drinking so much beer at one time!!! I don't even like beer!!!


Now this crowd was NOT for people like me. I may have a slight anxiety disorder. Crowds make my skin crawl, especially if they are close enough to touch. I hate that!!!! I was glued to my hubby from behind as he led the way. At one point he reached back and touched my leg - affectionately mind you - and my reaction was less than lovely. I nearly clocked him... not actually knowing it was him. I think my blood pressure was up just a smidge as I had a headache... and was a little bit nauseated. NOT from the beer... I just don't like crowds. I did my best to overcome the urge to have a mental meltdown in the midst of the crowd. So as we hunkered into a corner to chit-chat with his co-workers... I succomed to taking a few sips of the lightest beer offered followed by a couple of hours of prime-time people watching. Yes my friend... this place was a gold mine for those of us that like to simply "watch" people and notice oddities about them. Like the geeks across the way... one dressed for the 1970's rodeo and his pal with the faded 80's button-down shirt and bright clashing tie. WOW is about all I could say.
I am still not a fan of beer. Yuk. Yuk. Yuk. And I'm not a fan of places that serve it in large quantities. I was so out of my comfort zone and I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this... except I need to vent. This type of activity is not high on my list of "Would like to do's." I prefer to enjoy more simplistic wholesome activities. I'm absolutely amazed at the multitude of people who take part in such activities. WOW.
Keith has a very german heritage, so consumption of beer (and other alcohol) is the norm. His grandfather even owned a bar for many years. Thankfully, my K does not indulge in it very often... although he does have an occasional beer and we are both actually fond of wine.



1 comment:

Pearl said...

Last night we went down town Cincinnati to meet some friends and so many roads were closed because of our own Octoberfest here in Ohio.