Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesdays With Jen... My Memoirs

When I started this series way way back I had intended to recap some journal entries of days gone by... so I think I shall do that this week...

September 19, 2003 I wrote...

Grandma's recent decline in health has grabbed my attention. I have
been trying to spend more time with her lately as I realize that our days
are numbered. She has kept many journals over the years. Someday
I will read them. The other day she encouraged me to write things down
now because memories fade over time. The last couple of weeks have
brought some changes for her. Two Saturdays ago I scrubbed her
cabinets in the kitchen and put new knobs on them to brighten the room. It never occurred to me that she wasn't able to clean her home. Last Saturday I cleaned some in her living room. I found a can of Tinker Toys that I played with as a child. I was able to clean up enough to give a little extra leg-room in the trailer. Amanda bought Gram a recliner. It's green and plush. She has been having trouble lying down to sleep so this was a
welcomed gift. I helped clean out her bedroom, organize her closet, and
lay a carpet to cover most of her bedroom floor. While cleaning her bedroom I found a checkbook from the 1970's which she wanted to keep.



September 20, 2003 I wrote...
Tonight I sat on the porch swing at the farmhouse shucking sweetcorn for dinner while two deer lazily ate grass near the garden. They were so beautiful. They ducked into the woods when the Cox's arrived.

September 21, 2003 I wrote...
Oh what a beautiful day. On my way to church this morning, I was noting the splendor of this place we live. The sky was blue and the sun was shining. God is so glorious! Grandma didn't sleep very well. She was a little winded this morning and had forgotten some of her things for her breathing treatments. She and I sat on the couch in the dining room drinking coffee and chatting as the morning sun lit the room. Last night I mentioned to her that I'd like to take her to Niagra Falls and for a horse buggy ride there. She proceded to tell me of a time when she was a teenager and had gone for a buggy ride on a Sunday. She said that it rained horribly and that the horse ran furiously coming to a halt inside a stable. She shared her lesson of not forgetting to keep the Sabbath Day holy.


No comments: