Sunday, September 19, 2010

Food & Savings

After baking a loaf of Tastefully Simple Beer Bread… I did my weekly grocery shopping yesterday.  I didn’t get any coupon items because I stuck to the outside isles of the store for the most part, except for some canned goods.  I am out of homemade stewed tomatoes, so I had to buy some.  :(  I so very much want a garden!  Anyway, I got fruit, veggies, meat, and essentials.  Most of it came with a grocers discount because of Keith’s employment, so SCORE!  My $60/week grocery budget came right under the wire WITHOUT coupons at $59.99!  Yay!

 

As soon as I got home I started a pot of chili.  That should be enough for dinner Saturday, lunch Sunday, and the rest I’ll pack up and freeze.  I sent Keith a text “I’m making chili for dinner.”  He texted me back “Funny, I sell gas and you give it to me for free.”  He’s a wise guy!  Later he asked me if I’m going to enter it into the Annual Chili Cook-off at church this fall.  I guess that means that he likes it.  Another SCORE!

 

I decided that I wanted to try to make a pot of chicken soup just like Gram-ditties used to make.  So last night I put a chicken breast on to boil.  I de-boned it, but put the bones & skin in the pot to boil along with a whole onion, some carrots, celery, and herbs.  Before bed I strained off the stock and put it in the fridge along with the chicken breast.  This morning I started the pot with butter, onion, carrot, celery, and spices… then added chicken… then stock… then noodles… viola  I have a pot of AUTHENTIC chicken noodle soup!  And… it’s LOW SODIUM!  The only thing better would be if I grew my own veggies, spices, and chicken!  I’m so proud of myself!  So, this pot should be enough for dinner tonight and then maybe lunch tomorrow… and I’ll pack up the rest for the freezer. 

 

So what about the rest of the week?  Hmmm… 

- Spaghetti or Cheese Ravioli

- Eggs & Bacon or Pancakes… whichever we decide at the time

- Ham & Potato Bake

 

So there you have it… a plan for the week! YAY!

No comments: