Sunday, February 03, 2013

Selfless Sunday


I haven't made a Selfless Sunday post in more than a year.  I kind of left the blog behind for the sake of facebook.  Every now and then I come back to the blog because it's something to keep, a record, a diary of sorts. 

I've recently been approached and asked to volunteer as a youth leader at church.  I heard the plea for volunteers.  I felt the tug.  I prayed on it.  I was targeted specifically before I even stepped up to answer.  Yes Lord.  I have heard you calling in the night.  I will go Lord, if you lead me.  I never considered this to be my calling.  It was supposed to be my husbands.  Well, maybe it used to be or maybe in some way it still is but he's not available due to his work schedule.  Interesting how our calling can change over time.  Funny how the events of our lives can feed a need much further down the road.  I know with great certainty that I must answer this call.  I'm wrestling with the fact that I adore my restful Sundays.  Sometimes I get out to hike (when the weather is nice).  Many Sunday evenings we enjoy spending with my sister and her husband.  So for now I've agreed to help every other week.  I don't want to jump in with both feet and burn out immediately.  I start tonight.  I've been praying for vision and focus as I minister to the youth of our church. 

Ministry is selfless.  Answering a call to serve is selfless... but in so many ways feeds the heart of the servant.  I so look forward to all the sweet relationships to be made in the days ahead. 

1 Peter 4:10
"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."

No comments: