Friday, June 16, 2006

Annual Workout

Yes, it's that time of year again. Each year we bust our butts for about a week putting in as much hay as we can while the weather is good. I affectionately refer to it as my "annual workout." No matter how much sporadic exercise I enjoy throughout the year, nothing can fully prepare me for hay making.

The bales were perfectly sized this year - not too heavy and not too light. As it goes, we usually form an assembly line of sorts. One person tosses off the truck, the next tosses up to the stacker, and the stacker.... stacks. Duh. I was one of the stackers this year. I got to climb up as high as the rafters... Yippie! I don't claim to be the best stacker, but I try.

The work comes with sore and swollen fingers, a few hay scratches which inevitably ends up like a rash (at least for me), and lungs full of dust that will pass in a day or two. One night we were discussing how bringing in hay leaves us exhibiting our hard-core selves. Rene'e had a piece of hay stab her up the nose. Obviously she had a nose bleed. The general response is to wipe your face and sometimes blow your nose on whatever is closest... usually your shirt. Me... I had hay down my shirt... and mixed with a bout of poison ivy it was not pretty. I unashamedly reached down my shirt and was picking the hay and dirt out of my bra. Oh well... gotta do what ya gotta do... right? Ahhhhhhhhhh... but the workout is worth the efforts in the end. Our fine four-legged creatures will eat high on the hog for the months to come.

Rene'e says we need about 900 bales I think. Thank goodness she found another helper this year, Josh. He's been a real gem. Now at the end of the week, I cannot even remember when the hay started. I just know that we had a couple nights full of it and there is more to come. A few times we took Lee's flatbed truck to get it. We could fit about 75 or so on it. I even drove for one load. Another load came by trailer... another by horse trailer... and still more by the wagon. It feels like and endless task. Are we there yet?

One load we got on the flatbed we had tied it down good, but not good enough. It was dark out. When we backed up to the barn we realized we had lost some. With horror we darted for the 4-door truck to go find them before someone wrecked as a result. As we tore out of there... we spotted them... on the driveway. WHEW!!! We were amazed! We only lost 7 so it wasn't like an entire truckload.

I think the workout will last a couple more days and then we'll hang it up until next summer.

No comments: