Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!!!


There are at least FIVE foods that make me think of my Mom...

1 - Raw Potatoes
One of Mom's favorite snacks. She would peal and slice them and then sprinkle with salt... maybe a little pepper or season-salt... And I would steal some! Yum-O

2 - Meatloaf with finger holes
Made with ketchup. Mixed by hand. Poked with an index finger many times. And baked in the microwave. Mmmmmm....

3 - Chicken Noodle Soup with Egg
Mine never comes out quite the same. I always loved this tasty treat.

4 - Canned green beans
We picked beans. We snapped beans. She canned beans. We ate beans. Still one of my favorites.

5 - Dill pickles
I liked the garlic dills the best.

My Mom was and still is a good canner. She just doesn't do as much of it as she did in years gone by. Tomato juice, grape juice, stewed tomatoes, green beans, pickles, peaches, sweet pickles, meat, and don't forget CAKE!
I miss your canning Mom. Remember the zuccini turned pinapple?

Thanks Mom for all the good tastes in years gone by. Maybe someday I'll get creative and try some of that. I hope you have a splendid Mother's Day.

Love,

J.J.

No comments: