Saturday, June 23, 2007

Snippets of Summer 2007

We aren't even that far into the summer and we've already had plenty of fun-filled adventures. One thing about not having children is that we can just up and go at any time so long as our schedules are free. I always say we should enjoy these times as SOMEDAY we might not be so flexible.



Anyway, going back a couple of weeks... we scored tickets to the Pocono 500. It's crazy how we ended up with them. From what I gather... the garbage company gave them to someone who gave them to their tenents who gave them to a relative who gave them to me... who shared them with my darling hubby who has been just DYING to go to a Nascar race for years! As it goes, we packed up in a jiffy and headed that way. My sister's inlaws were kind enough to allow us to layover at their cabin the night before.

The race was good. We got there early and spent hours doing what race fans do... buying race attire and visiting vendor displays. He got a t-shirt. I got a hat. We picked up a hat for a friend. We loaded up with tons of freebie stuff too. It was hot, but rainy. They rain delayed the race for about 4 hours. When they finally raced, they called a caution after about a hundred laps for more rain. That's when we decided to scoot home. As it goes, they called the race shortly thereafter. The ride home was SO LONG. We were sunburned and TIRED!!!!

Thanks Rene'e and Co. for thinking of us! We appreciated all you did to make it a memorable experience!

Another week was deemed a fun-filled-farmlife-frenzie! We put in hay... lots of it! Gloves are wonderful you know, especially lightweight leather gloves. They save you from many many many blisters! It's a good feeling to have a barn-full of fresh baled hay. It smells good, but the workers do not! We cough, spit, sweat, and sputter! That hard-core dust fills our lungs and sticks to the inside of our noses. EWWWWW!!!!! The chore is done for the season after only a few days. Other farmers will continue the frenzie, but for us... well... we have all that we need to last us until this time next year.

The chicks hatched ONE WEEK AGO. I saw them yesterday and they have grown 4x the size of the egg. I'm not going to tell you what kind of chicks because that would just give it away... see pictures below.

We walked for Epilepsy last weekend. I aspire to do more organized walks of this sort in times to come. Really it didn't seem very far or very difficult. Of course, if I had been running it would have kicked my butt! Our team raised over $900 for the cause and the overall event raised over $50,000. THANK YOU to all of you who contributed to this effort. So many friends and family are directly affected by Epilepsy. We all appreciate your kind support!

Following the walk we hit the Pittsburgh Zoo for an afternoon of gawking. Isn't that what people do there? One of K's co-workers gave us free tickets. We are all about finding a bargain you know! It was a nice afternoon out with my hubby. I think some of our pictures would make nice home-made greeting cards. My niece and nephew are "into" writing these days. Hmmm... that would make a nice little gift for them. Shhhh...

Last night I was afforded the opportunity to help Rene'e at the farm. Now this would just make my Grampy proud... (both of them actually) I brush-hogged the back pasture with the Farmall H. Oh you know I was just out there in my glory thinking to myself... "If Grampy could see me now!" (I wish I had thought to have her take some pictures.)

So that's about it. I'm posting some pictures from some of our excursions below. There are a few "Guess what this is" type posts. Give it a whirl... see if you can guess what they are.

Happy Summer everyone!

No comments: