Monday, July 23, 2007

Counting My Blessings

I am blessed. Looking back to my childhood, nobody ever helped me find who I wanted to be 'when I grow up.' My interests were peaked by whatever seemed to be happening around me at the time. I took some computer classes because a friend was also taking them. It was too easy, so I quit that and refocused in another area. Funny thing, that computer knowledge landed me a job in a doctors office shortly after I graduated from High School. I went to community college, but didn't find a pull there. After working for the doc for a few years, I found myself pushed into the medical field and I was good with the computer, but just not very clinically minded. After some extenuating circumstances with my boss, I headed back to school to earn an Associates Degree in Specialized Business - majoring in 'Medical Management.' I worked a few different jobs while I was in school and shortly thereafter found a job in the Medical Records Department of a local hospital. I was promoted from one title to another and eventually maxed out my hourly wage before my aspirations were satisfied. I tried to transfer within but it just wasn't happening. I eventually found a job outside of the hospital that was closer to home, offered more compensation, and more opportunity for advancement.

I've been at this establishment for 6 years now. I have endured several changes in management and several title changes all within the same department. When I was moving to Kentucky I had given my resignation notice a couple months in advance. That's when I dreamed up the possibility of working from home! THEY TOTALLY BOUGHT IT!!! We worked out all the specifics and off I went to Kentucky. They flew me home every month and I would stay with my friend or family for about 10 days before returning to my ol' Kentucky home.

I can honestly say that my employer has been good to me. They support me in educating me and getting me the tools I need to do my job. I am well compensated for my work. I have a flexible schedule and plenty of perks. I can definitely see myself working here for the long haul. I am very blessed to have the opportunity to serve here.

Join us in Blessings Monday won't you... Head on over to Down On The Farm and tell us all about your blessings!

3 comments:

Marci said...

Jenny, I think it is wonderful that you can work from home. My husband asked about it one time and they told him NO WAY. He could retire from there in less than 8 years. If he does that, he would probably find a part time job and we would try and work the farm a bit more.

Pearl said...

A good job is a great blessing!

Kim said...

What a wonderful blessing. Thank you so much for sharing it.