Saturday, July 28, 2007

Marriage Monday




Marriage Monday is hosted by Lynn over at Spiritually Unequal Marriage this week. Say a little prayer for our usual host, Christine, as she endures a time of difficulty with her little one.


Lynn's topic is in reference to 'body language' in our marriage and poses the following questions for our response:

• What are we really saying when we give him the eye roll?
• What body language communicates acceptance to your spouse.
• In your own marriage, how has your body language defused an explosive situation?
I'll start with the eye rolling. If I do this, I don't realize it. I'm going to have to ask my hubby on this. one.

The body language that I exhibit that definitely communicates acceptance is simply "undivided attention." There are days when I will be talking with my HandyHubby and I cannot focus on what he is saying. I will be busy managing my time by working on other necessities and not paying full attention to him. SHAME ON ME!!!! I realize that he wants me to look him in the eye. He wants me to make him more important than the dishes or the laundry or whatever. I need to exercise my listening skills. I admit, I don't always retain all that he tells me. I am guilty of asking him about his work schedule repeatedly. I'm not sure if I'm not fully listening or if I'm just forgetful? I know that when he talks to me while he's playing a game or watching tv that he isn't really listening to me, which makes me feel unimportant. Thank you Lynn for bringing this topic to my attention. I will strive to be more deliberate in giving him my undivided attention this week.

How has my body language defused an explosive situation? How about I flip that over and tell you how it has ignited an explosive situation?! That might be more accurate. I am thankful that I can report that we have not had an explosive situation for a long long time. Way back when we found ourselves having those kind of arguments is when he was battling depression. I was at my wits end trying to make things better for him, but it wasn't helping. My frustration led to me withdrawing from him which fed his depression and caused explosive situations. Was that his way of getting my attention? Hmmm... I can honestly say that things are well with us these days. God is good.

Bless us by sharing tidbits of your married life. Head on over to Marriage Monday and link up or just peruse the wisdom that has been shared. Thank you Lynn for hosting this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny V:

What a delightful place you have here. I love the horses. Beautiful.

Your post is insightful and well written. You made me think about myself. Am I giving my husband my full attention. Just yesterday, he was frustrated with me because he was trying to tell me something and my face was glued to the computer. I echo, SHAME ON ME.

Great Post. Thank you for joining in. I will be back again soon. Love and hugs, Lynn