Monday, August 27, 2007

"Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 2:4-5 (NRSV)

Yet again I am reminded of my own selfishness. Why does God keep repeating this to me?!!! These words follow me continually. Actually, I think that it is our human nature to WANT for ourselves. Admit it... YOU WANT too! I want a bigger house. I want a bigger yard. I want a new kitchen. I want new carpet. I want a truck. I want central air. I want to relax. I want to go shopping. I want a new life. I want I want I want.

But these things are not what God wants for me... at least not now. When I catch a glimpse of attaining any of these things, my mind is consumed by them. I dream about them. I waste precious time wanting. This can't be good. I figure that every time my mind wanders toward wants, I end up feeding the devil a dance. He wants me to think about THINGS. And thinking about things takes my mind off of seeking the Lord with all my heart!

I want to want what God wants me to want. I want to dream of treasures in Heaven, not here on Earth. Thanks to my good friend AmyS for reminding me that God has a "Better Blessing" for me. I'm wasting a lot of time seeking "MY" blessings, when God is waiting for me to trust him to know what's best for me and when.

Do you find yourself in this same slum? Does dreaming of "things" make you feel good or depress you because you can't have them? I would like to know what "Storing up treasures in Heaven" is really like. Any comments on that?

I think this post took a turn away from how it started. It was supposed to be about putting others before yourself. God tells us that we are to care for others. Simply put, I started my day by making coffee for my husband. It's part of how I take care of him. It can be that simple, or it can be more complex. I'm going to send some donations to an orphanage later this week. Anyone want to join me in that? It makes me feel good to do that. Obedience feels good. How about that! Christ was self-less. We are generally opposite of that. (I think anyway) How have you cared for others today? What kinds of things are you doing to look out for others?

Ok I'm off my soap box. Have a nice day!

No comments: