Friday, October 26, 2007

It's Just Not Like Me


It's just not like me to not like someone. I get along with most. There are very few people in this world that I truly do not care for. There are those that I simply overlook, but let's get real... There are a few people who I really don't like. These include persons who have wronged me or someone that I love. Maybe I don't have to be around them. Maybe I only run into them once in a blue moon. I'm never actually mean to them, but I can say that I have to put forth effort to be pleasant to them.


This scenario has been tugging at my heart. I have been reading 1 John and it has been made very clear to me that we are to "love one another." This is something that I specifically remember my Grandmother stressing to me, although at the time I wasn't exactly sure what she was getting at. Oh, I get it completely now.


I was meeting with my lady friends this evening. It's uncanny how we choose a scripture and it strikes a chord with many of us. Today's study was no exception. We talked about how difficult it is to repent of such feelings. Must we attempt to reconcile our relationship with that individual? Are we not justified by hurt feelings and such? We concluded that this is something that must be handled between our heart and the Lord. We MUST have a forgiving heart! We must repent of our sin... of that committed in thought, word, and deed. I do not believe that confrontation or relationship building with the individual is a must. The Lord may change their heart and thus this may eventually occur, but it is not for our doing. Our duty is to glorify the Lord and as such we should take appropriate action in that direction.


So as I have been reminded about the very few people who some how make my blood boil... I am taking strides to reconcile those feelings with the Lord. I am reminded that even the deeds they have seemingly committed have been part of the Lords perfect plan in some fashion, AND just as their sin nailed Christ to the cross, so has MINE! I am satisfied to not have to be friendly with them, but I am sure that when our paths cross again that the Lord will empower me to be cordial and though it seems odd... I shall be loving. For it is written:



1 John 4: 20



If anyone says, “I love God,”


yet hates his brother,


he is a liar. For anyone who


does not love his brother,


whom he has seen,


cannot love God,


whom he has not seen.


1 comment:

Marci said...

Great post. I think that God allows those people in our lives to help mold and shape our character. I have a couple of them. I have to continually go to the Lord for that love only He can give.