Sunday, January 27, 2008

Saving and Budgeting

I have been focusing on being thrifty in my spending lately. Part of this focus is about staying on budget at the grocery store. I clip coupons every week. I'm shopping the sales, using the coupons at just the right time and saving a lot of money in the process. Here are some tips that I'm learning to take advantage of:

1) MENU PLANNING - I'm planning meals each week while giving consideration to what is on sale during this weeks shopping trip. Having this plan definitely deters us from impromptu dining out. It also offers my Handy Hubby an opportunity to decide what he is willing to make for us one day this week... so I know I'll have a break. (He's so good!)

2) Making extra and freezing it for later. I make soup or chili and freeze at least two (more than one serving) containers for another day. I make two lasagnas or casseroles and have one for dinner and freeze the other.

3) Make ahead meats. I baked a 9 pound turkey one day last week. There were a lot of left-overs as that was a rather large bird for just two people. The following day I made turkey tetrazzini. The rest I chopped into bite size pieces and popped into the freezer for another quick meal. I also made a lasagna one day last week. I had left-over ground meat that I had already browned. There is enough to make a meat sauce, so I bagged it and froze it. Our meat sauce will be done in half the time next time.

I really am saving funds at the supermarket by carefully planning before I go. I know which stores have the best deals on everything and what I have coupons for. This week I planned three lists - Giant Eagle, Rite Aid, and Shop-n-Save. Lucky for me these three establishments are all on the main stretch of highway near me, all less than 3 miles from home. I got some super good deals at each place! Free lightbulbs. Free jump-drive!! Super-cheap chili seasoning, Ragu, ground round, boneless pork, and pepperoni slices! Add all this it last weeks plunder... we are stocked!

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Good job, Jenny! Thanks for sharing your saving strategies.

Thank you also for co-hosting the "shower" for Monica. It's been fun to hear about what she's received, and she's felt very encouraged.