Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesdays With Jen... My Memoirs

10 Random Recollections...

1) The grass at the farm, the old homestead was rarely cut. There was a path from the barn to the house.

2) We used to put the kitties in a feed sack, swing them around a few times, then let them out. Cruel yes... my brother taught me that. The mind of a child is often twisted.

3) Mom butchered chickens. We helped pluck them. I don't remember eating them though.

4) Grandpa had a jar of cologne on his dresser. It was shaped like a train. What kind was that anyway?

5) There was a GIGANTIC spider in the upstairs. In Grandpa & Paul's room in the attic doorway.

6) We used to pick daffodils on the hillside near the house. They grew in abundance there.

7) I once saw my grandfather beat a groundhog to death with an old pipe. I'm pretty sure it was a sickly animal.

8) Grampy used to take me into the springhouse and dip us some water to drink. It was a cool treat on a hot day. I think there were also black snakes in the springhouse, but he wasn't afraid of them.

9) There were some shiny stones in the driveway about half-way up from the farm. I'm not sure what kind of stone it was, but it always caught my eye.

10) There was a HUGE puddle at the top of the driveway. It was FULL of tadpoles in the spring.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I too remember Grandpa beating the groundhog. Dad told him to wait while he got his gun...and while he was gone...whammo. I also remember larger than life spiders...like bigger than the size of my hand...Ive never seen them that big except there...It is one of my creepy memories that I wonder if it was really true...I just know it was.