Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesdays C.O.W. – Coupon of Wisdom

COW_LOGO

So I’ve been doing this Beth Moore study with my girlfriends at church.  We meet every Monday and I have to admit… it’s a good study.  It’s on the fruits of the spirit.  So the very first thing we learned has really stuck with me… so here’s a little advice…

 

In order to be filled with the Holy Spirit, we need to expel all the things that weigh our hearts down.  So in prayer we confess our sin and vow to repent.  We lay out the concerns that are heavy on our hearts.  When we have given it all up… then the Spirit can fill us.  Somehow when we free ourselves it allows the fruits of the Spirit to be expressed in us.  We experience love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. 

 

For the record, I think that self-control is the one that is of focus in my life lately.  I realize that I let petty things annoy me.  (i.e. it annoys me that my spouse doesn’t always put his dirty clothes in the basket.) If I’m mad or annoyed with my husband for something (usually something stupid) I find myself brewing over it.  Now I’m not the type of person to just spout off and degrade him.  I generally think long and hard before I open my mouth.  I’m sure that when it does surface is more nag than anger at that point.  This is where self-control comes in.  Since the focus on the study, I have spent much less time brewing over how to tell him how mad I am and a lot more time just letting God handle it.  I suppose that the Spirit gives me the patience to overlook these petty annoyances and to simply let them go.  It’s amazing!

 

So there you have it… a coupon of wisdom clipped from my studies of late.  Is there something wise that you have latched onto lately that you’d like to share?  Write a post or just leave a comment. 

No comments: