Sunday, March 27, 2011

Five Finds Today

IMG00220-20110327-1442

It was a brisk 40 degree day with chilly winds, although not too bad under the cover of the woods.  Keith and I set out for a little hike at Hartwood Acres, a lovely park near our home.  I must confess that I have long taken for granted the parks and trails that are so close to home.  Once we discovered our love of hiking and geocaching, that appreciation has grown so so much. 

IMG00221-20110327-1507

We found four caches, but the last one was a multi-cache, so it was actually FIVE finds.  It was a little bit muddy, but that’s what hiking boots are made for… right!?  There were lots of other people out and about hiking, running, and riding mountain bikes.  Many had dogs.  We even saw hoof-prints.  Despite the hustle and bustle, at times when we’d find ourselves deep in the woods, we’d discover some wildlife in our midst.  Five deer startled us at the top of one hill.  A red-tailed hawk, so majestic, flew close by us stopping to perch upon several lower trees.  It seemed odd that it was so low and so close instead of way up high, but I’ll take it.  It was eye candy.  Wish we would have had a better camera with us. 

 

I’m always grateful for Keith wanting to hike with me.  Geocaching gives us a good destination.  I’m just happy being out in the wilderness pounding out the miles on the trails.  It’s fantastic exercise.  It also gives me a much greater appreciation for what my pony endures when I ride her.  I can’t wait to do it again!!!

No comments: