Sunday, October 02, 2011

The Least We Could Do

helmet

Check out AdoptaPlatoon.  I stumbled upon this by way of another blog last week.  I didn’t know this existed.  I had a notion, but had no idea that you can sign-up individually to support a soldier one on one, not just an entire platoon.  This is fantastic!  We signed up right away.  It took about 3 days to finalize the details. 

 

Keith and I are now proud supporters of a soldier named Daniel.  I cannot share much about his identity or location.  The notice came with a few details about him (age, marital status, where he’s deployed to and from).  We understand that he has limited access to the daily amenities that you and I likely take for granted.  His PX (supply store) closed a month ago, so I’m not sure where he gets his basic needs from at this point.  He needs a pillow.  That’s at the top of my list of things to send right away.  I don’t know if he doesn’t have one or if the one he has is spent.  I do know that having a pillow is important.  He also wants snacks, dvds, and toiletries. 

 

Our commitment includes sending letters and cards of encouragement and a care-package once per month.  I ordered a package of 12 flat-rate boxes from the post office.  It’s about $10 to mail the box and it can hold up to 70 pounds of goodies.  I wonder how anyone fits 70 pounds into a box 12x12x5.5?  I plan to use my stockpile items from coupon savings to fill the boxes.  This will be a minimal investment for us from the pocket, but is a huge investment of the heart. 

 

Our introductory letter is on it’s way along with a questionnaire for Daniel to complete and return to us letting us know his likes and more specific wish-list.  We should receive our boxes in a day or so, but we already have a pile of goodies ready to pack.  It’s great that Keith has some deployment experience.  He helps me understand what to get.  I really want to give this box a Halloween theme because that is likely when he will receive it. 

 

We are really excited about this!  It’s the least we could do for someone who is so selflessly serving our country.  Please pray for our soldiers… and for Daniel by name.  Thanks!

No comments: