Saturday, February 02, 2013

Compost

Now that we have our own home and a little bit of property, it's raised up within me the desire to put more effort into caring for the land.  We have weekly trash service and bi-weekly recycle service.  We are being careful to recycle as much as we can.  But let's talk about the land right here under our feet...  Keith wants a rose garden.  I want a vegetable garden.  Doesn't it seem logical to COMPOST?!  This is my newest idea.  I'm researching the topic to figure out which method will work best for us.  There are all sorts of compost bins out there for purchase.  I'm not sure that we need to buy one.  We could probably make one.   I'm not sure what kind to make either.  I'm still trying to decide where to put it, not too close to the house or the barn and not a hike away either.  Also, I'm not sure if I should keep a compost bucket in my kitchen.  I read that some people keep a container in the freezer, which keeps it from fermenting in the kitchen.  There are also biodegradable bags that could be used in a kitchen bucket.  Not sure if I should think about those or just rinse the bucket after dumping it.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I'm hoping to get it started in the Spring.

 

I understand that the Agriculture Extension in Pennsylvania often has a composting course available where they give compost bins to participants.  I was looking for that, but now I see that most counties have discontinued it.  Bummer :( 

2 comments:

Amy said...

I might be able to give you our bin. (My goodness, what else could I give you - do you really want all my hand me downs?!?!?) We used to compost but we don't anymore. We kept a container in the kitchen next to the garbage and emptied it frequently... but for some reason Joe quit. We haven't done it in quite some time. But the bin is still up by the garden, probably full. We can talk about it if you are interested.

Jthemilker said...

If you don't want it and would like to be rid of it... then YES! Let me know.