Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day


Happy Father's Day to my Dad... Shown here on my wedding day... probably the happiest day ever (for both of us - he he he).

Some special memories of my Dad...

  • One time we went to pick him up at his reserve unit. There were so many soldiers walking around and they all looked the same. Mom said "There he is!" and we said "How do you know?" "Because of the way that he walks." Dad had a very unique bump in his walk that distinguished him fromt he others. Sure enough... it was him.
  • When I was hospitalized for falling off my bike, I remember looking out the window and seeing him walking towards the hospital entrance. He brought me a Strawberry Shortcake nighty and I was WAY impressed. I wore it until I grew out of it and then I left it hang in the closet for years as a keepsake.
  • I remember waiting in the parking lot for him to get off work at Pullman and then we went swimming at Moraine. I was pretty little and he took me out into the deep water. FUN.
  • He taught me how to put up electric fence and how to repair it. He and Paul built this A-frame shed for my horse to live in. Thanks to both of you.
  • We used to cut wood with Dad. We girls were given the task of picking up kindling in 5 gallon buckets. This was not the most joyous of jobs, but thank goodness he knew how to keep us warm all winter. He even taught me how to build a fire in the woodburner.
  • Whenever we had time off school for a dentist appointment, if Dad took us to the appointment, he always took us for lunch afterwards.
  • He helped me find and buy my first truck - 1983 Chevy Scottsdale. SWEET! I loved that truck. Thanks Dad. I would have been lost without your help on this!
  • I remember the first time he met Keith. I woke up, went down stairs, and there he was on the front porch with Keith... smoking a cigarette, talking about army and civil war stuff. Not long after that... I married my Dad. :)
  • One time , he rode to Kentucky to drop me off and take my truck back to PA. It was a short visit (over night), but a long ride. Thanks for helping me out Dad. We did some shopping at Walmart and had breakfast at Waffle House before he went back home.
  • Dad loves the Grandchildren. When they are small he pushes them on the swing and sing to them. As they grow he encourages them to ride their bikes and play other games outside. Whenever I visit with Dad, he tells me all about them... every one of them...

There are many things to remember and many things to thank my Dad for. This only but a snippet. I wish you a splendid day Dad. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jemit said...

WHAT A LOVELY TRIBUTE TO YOUR DAD.. I'LL MAKE SURE HE GETS TO READ THIS PART OF THE BLOG FOR SURE!

HEY! WENDY HAS BEEN HAVING DREAMS.. ASK HER ABOUT THE ONE WHERE YOU ARE PREGNANT WITH TRIPLETS!!!!!

Jthemilker said...

OH NO!!! This is not good. Amanda always says that she thinks we will some day have "a litter." I was thinking about making our bedroom into a game room and she said "Oh no, you will need this space for your litter."
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely wonderful tribute! How blessed you are to have grown up with a father like that!! (And to top it off having Marilyn for a mom!!)