Saturday, July 22, 2006

Ah Summer


As summer hits full swing, I am reminded of summers past. We always had a multitude of goods from the garden to preserve one way or another. Uncle Charlie has been the "Star Gardener" for years and always has an abundance to share. I have this memory of picking beans, being surrounded in a living room full of beans, and spending hours snapping beans. Mom canned the beans... and later we would EAT the beans. Mmmm.... I love homegrown green beans.

Why am I reminiscing about green beans? Because Mom and Dad gave me a giant bag full of them this week. No question... from Uncle Charlie... Thanks! As soon as I got home, I started the preservation process of choice... freezing them. I've not ventured far into the canning world - mostly because we have never had a home to call our own that I could fill with those sorts of supplies. Anyway - - Keith and I snapped them while watching tv. (we just got cable finally) Then I washed them, blanched them (just like G'ma taught me) and packed them for freezing. I'm so delighted. I love fresh green beans... especially for Thanksgiving! I think that was probably about 5 or 6 pounds. I have no doubt... there will be more. Here is a sample... Mmmmmmm...


P.S. I broke down and bought a new digital camera. I had to. (LOL) When we were out East last week, Mom's camera was on the fritz and there were important pictures to take of the flood damage and of course the birthday party too. I don't usually splurge this much on things, but I think it was well worth it... after all... I can now share more of the real thing on my blog!

2 comments:

Jemit said...

I'm so proud of you.. just let me know when you are ready to learn the art of canning..it is an art. It's also just as easy as freezing..but maybe takes just a little longer.

Jthemilker said...

I canned stewed tomatoes with G'ma too. Let me know when your living room is full of them and I will help you can them. :)