Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday’s C.O.W. – Coupon Of Wisdom

COW_LOGO

Romans 7:15-17

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.

 

This was the topic of discussion with some friends lately.  I’ve been thinking a lot about FOCUS.  Isn’t that the answer to almost every ill?  We can lose weight, meet a special goal, keep a cleaner home, save a few dollars, etc… IF we focus!  I can’t always keep my focus where I want it.  I can for a while, but then I lose it and have to start over.  Why is that?  It’s the sinful nature living within.  So in my quest to accomplish much, part of that is learning what tangible things I can do to squash the sinful nature and latch onto continual focus!  It’s a documented fact that the most significant key to weight loss is…. keeping a journal of every single item consumed.  That’s what helps keep the focus!  What are some tangible ways to stay focused in other areas?  Here are some of my ideas… 

  • Keep a journal.  What kind?  I’m currently keeping a journal of thankfulness.  I wonder what would happen if I kept of journal of sinful thoughts, words, or actions?  Ouch!  That would not be pretty!  I suppose it could be very helpful with confession and repentance.  I’m not sure I’m ready for this one, but it might be a good tool.  Hmmmm…
  • Surround  yourself with those who are positive and working towards the same goals.  That’s why I participate in my Bible Study groups.  It helps me to stay grounded, in the Word, and reminds me that I’m not the only one struggling with lack of focus!  A good support mechanism is essential to success.
  • Tap into resources.  Books, magazines, support groups, visual aids, etc.  I want to get back to running.  I ordered a fitness magazine.  It comes once every month.  Just getting it makes me want to read it and that helps me get back to it. 

What else?  Got any ideas?  How do we win the battle of focus!

No comments: