Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Tuesdays With Jen -- My Memoirs

How I Met My Hubby -- Part IV

Need to catch up? Part I -- Part II -- Part III

You might have guessed it. It's time for my new-found friend to pay a visit to the Keystone State. He was home on leave before a big deployment and made his way to Pennsylvania. He met my family and my friends. I took him horseback riding on Peppy one morning. We went to the Farm Show one afternoon and watched the tractor pull. One evening we walked down to the farm where I grew up, kicked back on the bank, and took note of all the stars. I knew I was in trouble when I woke up one morning and found him sitting on the front porch with my dad, smoking a cigarette and talking about army stuff and the Civil War. (Just reinforces the idea that I married my father!) Before he left he asked me if I would marry him someday. I was rather shocked! It was not a REAL proposal. It was simply his way of saying that he was in this for the long haul.


And... In the blink of an eye he was gone again... back to his military base and then on to his deployment. He was headed to Bosnia for about 6 months. There were lots of love letters coming and going, greeting cards, and I even sent him a Christmas package to share with the guys in his tent. It was a warm feeling to find an envelope with his handwriting on it and in it. This was something so much more personal than all those e-mails we had sent in days gone by. He had plenty to say and spoke of various duties of his assignment there. On Thanksgiving day he called me. It was SO GREAT to hear his voice and by this time I missed him SO MUCH that I cried. He was to return to the States in the spring... when we would meet again...

No comments: